Monday, January 22, 2018

Spread the Net Challenge - ENDING SOON

Ending Soon!  My Spread the Net Donation ends on January 29.  

I will donate $5.00 from the retail sale of every Patchworks Studio pattern to Spread the Net. One malaria net costs $10.00 so every pattern you buy will pay for 1/2 a net. Buy 2 patterns and you'll buy ONE NET!

Read about this fundraiser below.

***********************************************************
Each year, malaria kills an estimated 438,000 people, and it remains the leading cause of death of children under 5 in Africa.
Since 2007, Spread the Net has helped protect the lives of over 41 million people by contributing to the delivery of more than 19 million malaria-preventing bed nets to families in Africa.

Co-founded by Rick Mercer and Belinda Stronach in 2006, the Spread the Net Student Challenge is a friendly competition between Canadian schools to raise funds for bed nets. The top fundraising elementary, secondary and post-secondary schools receive a visit from Rick Mercer himself and appear on an episode of the Rick Mercer Report!
This is a cause that I strongly support. You can read more about the Challenge here.
So...
Starting TODAY and running until January 29, 2018, I will donate $5.00 from the retail sale of every Patchworks Studio pattern to Spread the Net. One malaria net costs $10.00 so every pattern you buy will pay for 1/2 a net. Buy 2 patterns and you'll buy ONE NET!
Why this project?
The reasons are many....
  1. This is the final season for The Mercer Report, a Canadian comedy/public affairs show hosted by comedian (and all round adventure seeker) Rick Mercer. It's a fitting tribute to all the years of laughs and sober thought Rick has given me and my family.
  2. Every TWO MINUTES a child dies from malaria. The scary truth - malaria is treatable and preventable. For just $10 one bed net can help save the lives of two children for up to three years.
  3. My father and I were born in Africa - my father in Zimbabwe and me in South Africa. A part of my heart will always be there.
  4. Because this is a 'school/student' challenge it can educate and encourage lifelong support for charitable giving by students. This puts a 'face' on who we help - it is person-to-person giving.
  5. I have two 'under 5' people in my life - my beautiful granddaughters, Brooklyn and Alice, and I can't imagine having to protect them from this killer disease.
  6. And why is January 29, 2018, the end date? This date is my father's birthday. He would have been 89 years old. This is a way to honour him too.

I hope you'll get on board and buy a pattern or 2 today.
Here is the link to all the Patchworks Studio patterns
PS...gift giving season is coming.
Why not buy a pattern for yourself and one for a friend?
Together you will SPREAD THE NET!

No comments: